Monday 6 July 2009

Soneni


Multi-talented artist Soneni is all at once a singer, songwriter, lyricist and poet. She has been musically active now for over a decade, penning her first song at the age of twelve and going on to perform extensively on the London and Brighton open mic circuit. The 25 year old says of her music; “it’s a cocktail of my life’s stories and journeys, of the poetry that’s come with that, and the lessons learnt”. London born with Zimbabwean roots, the artist has an array of musical influences, as diverse as Nas, Queen, Miriam Makeba, to Laryn Hill and Richard Ashcroft. “I like musicians who have something to say but can entertain you at the same time”, she states.

After years of perfecting her craft, Soneni now releases her debut single Starstruck, which has been described by DJ Ras Kwame as a “sublime piece of soulful house". In late 2008, this very song was not only broadcast on BBC 1xtra, but selected out of hundreds of tracks to be one of three songs used as part of the BBC 1xtra HomeGrown podcast, distributed to around 20,000 listeners. “I’ve got a lot of love for them for that support, it was a real confidence boost”, says Soneni. “My goal is to uplift and inspire, but also to convey a message. I feel that I’ve been given a gift with my music and I want to share it with as many people as possible”.

StarStruck is out now on itunes

www.myspace.com/sonenimusic
www.youtube.com/sonenimusic
www.twitter.com/sonenimusic

Posted by Anna Nathanson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have heard Soneni do her thing and i'll say watch this space, this girl is the next big thing, her talent is beyond people's expectations, she's a little star waiting to burst into the spotlight!
Luv ya babe x
Aletha